10 Things You Wouldn't Believe Are Deadly Poisonous

And you're probably around them all the time!

Credits: jordonr10

  1. 1

    Nail Polish

    Many nail polishes contain the naughty triplets in conventional nail polish — the so-called “toxic trio” — are toluene, dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and formaldehyde. Regulators say that exposure to large amounts of these chemicals has been linked to developmental problems, asthma and other illnesses. Recently, investigators randomly chose 25 brands of polishes, including a number of products claiming to be nontoxic or free of the toxic trio. They found that 10 of 12 products claiming to be free of toluene contained it, with four of the products having dangerously high levels of the chemical. The report also found that five of seven products that claimed to be "free of the toxic three" actually included one or more of the agents in significant levels.Be sure to love your nails, but be safe!

  2. 2

    Farmed Salmon

    Who doesn't like a good piece of fish? Salmon is particularly one of my favorite ones!We may be constantly urged to eat more oily fish, but research has suggested that consuming farmed salmon may not be the best way to do it. A study found that 13 different toxins - including PCBs, which have been classed as a probable human carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - are at much higher levels in farm-raised salmon than in wild salmon.Go for the wild!

  3. 3

    Air Freshener

    About 80 percent of all adult Americans have purchased some type of air care product (candles, sprays, plug-ins, room fresheners, potpourri, air fresheners, air purifiers, etc) in the past year. And why not? Who wouldn’t prefer the scent of “Angel Whispers” or “Fresh Waters” over pet odors or cooking smells?But it's not as sweet as it smells! These scents are not condensed versions of the natural form, they're chemicals and artificial fragrances!One great article notes: "So, for instance, when the Natural Resources Defense Council tested 14 different brands of common household air fresheners, they found that 12 contained the hormone-disrupting chemicals known as phthalates. The products that tested positive included ones marketed as “all-natural” and “unscented.”"

  4. 4

    Nutmeg

    No, a little bit of it in your favorite dish won't hurt you.Although, like many of the foods on the list, nutmeg does have reported health benefits, it can also be extremely dangerous when taken in large doses. Containing a toxic substance called myristicin, moderate proportions of nutmeg can cause hallucinations, while larger doses can cause convulsions, palpitations, nausea, dehydration and death.Nutmeg is actually a hallucinogenic. Yes, you can trip on it, but it's said that eating just 0.2 oz of nutmeg could lead to convulsions, and 0.3 oz could lead to seizures. Eating one whole will supposedly lead to a type of "nutmeg psychosis," which includes a sense of impending doom.#NutmegJustGotReal

  5. 5

    COMMON Mushrooms

    While mushrooms available in supermarkets are pretty safe to eat, mushroom fans need to be careful about what species' they eat, as many varieties can be highly dangerous and even fatal. Around 100 species of mushrooms are said to be dangerous to humans, with symptoms ranging from headaches to seizures or even death. In 2010 a small variety of mushroom called the Little White was blamed for an estimated 400 deaths in China.Mushrooms are delicious, but be conscious of which kinds you eat. Any that are in a supermarket are pretty safe for you.

  6. 6

    Rapeseed oil

    There has been much controversy about this seemingly innocent natural oil, but the general consensus seems to be that it could have many negative implications on our health. Reports state that the rape plant - from which the oil is produced - is extremely toxic, and side effects of consuming its oil could include respiratory problems and blindness.

  7. 7

    Chili peppers

    I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many delicious things come from mixing in this wonderful pepper, but be sure to mix in the right amount!Chillies are renowned for their heat, which is what makes them so popular. However, it is actually the chemical that causes this spiciness (capsaicin) which can cause toxic effects such as stomach pain, itchy skin and, in extreme cases, death. #GhostChilisAreGhostForAReason For most people eating chilies will do little harm, however capsaicin is best eaten sparingly so make sure to take it easy and avoid any chili eating challenges.

  8. 8

    Lilies

    Yes, yes, I know you're not going to eat a flower - but your pets might!Easter lilies, although beautiful, are also poisonous, especially to cats. It is also poisonous to humans due to the alkaloid Lycorine, found in the bulbs and stems. Symptoms of poisoning due to ingestion of Easter lily (likewise for almost all other true lilies) include abdominal pain, salivation, shivering, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Wouldn’t we all love a bit of that around Easter time? Not!Make sure your garden is kept in order!

  9. 9

    Chocolate

    We're worried about the pets again, in case you didn't know, chocolate is not okay to give to dogs! You'd think thats common knowledge, but there are quite a few chocolate caused deaths of dogs per year. Typically, the darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems from methylxanthine poisoning. White chocolate has the lowest methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. As as little as 4 ounces of milk chocolate—or only 0.5 oz of baking chocolate—can cause serious problems in a 10-pound dog. Be nice to Mr. Pooch!

  10. 10

    Lipstick

    Even though I know some people want to DAZZLE with a great shade of lipstick - be conscious! For that matter, be careful of the 400 lipsticks on the market that contain lead. Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database gives a large number of lipsticks a “10,” the highest score in terms of potential toxicity. The culprits? “Neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, persistence and bioaccumulation, organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), additive exposure sources, biochemical or cellular level changes.”An article on lipstick notes, "The small amount of lead exposure especially in developing brains in young children, can cause a problem and the main problem it can cause is development of that brain," Torres said. "Essentially, they start having problems in language development, with math development, those types of things. It doesn't take much lead for that to happen; but again, these lead levels are very, very small. I wouldn't be too concerned using it on a casual basis, but if it's something they are playing with on a daily basis, or they are ingesting or eating it, then stay away from that."I encourage you to look at the lead content in your lipstick, you might be surprised.

Don't like this list? Edit it and make your own list!

Don't like this list? Edit it and make your own list! We will pubish it on our site! You can share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc

Edit this list

Tags

You may also like

Login / Sign up